Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Upside-Down Deep Dish Pizza


I pulled this Ragu recipe (ad) out of People magazine and modified it using ingredients from Trader Joe's.

I used a clear pie dish which was great for showing my kids the "upside down" effect.

Here's how to make my version of this easy and delicious meal:
1) Pour pizza sauce in pie pan (I used approx. 5 oz.)
2) Top with thawed/drained spinach (I used 1/2 a bag)
3) Add a layer of shredded mozzarella (2 cups)
4) Roll fresh pizza dough out to just larger than the pan and place on top pressing the edges to seal
5) Pop it in 375 oven for 20 min or until golden. (Although I'm going to try 400 next time which is what I normally cook fresh pizza at.)

Yes, that's it. Enjoy!

Next time I'll try adding Ricotta between the spinach and mozzarella layers. I don't eat meat so I skipped that step from the original recipe. I might try the Morningstar or Boca soy meat crumbles. Since they are pre-cooked they are easy to add straight to the sauce.

Stella was so intrigued by seeing it made that she was excited to give it a try. She took a bite and asked: "What's the green stuff?" I answered her: "Spinach." Pause. "It's deeeeeeeeeelicious!"

Husband's review: "This is so good, I'm going for seconds!" He was kind enough to leave me a slice for lunch the next day. What a treat that was to discover when I opened the fridge for the daily stare into the fridge at lunchtime. I heated it back up in the oven and ate it right-side up while going about my chores.

This dish went over so well in my house that I will be adding it to the regular line up of my "10 Minutes or Less" meals and removing a previous pizza casserole post which pales in comparison to this one.

We give it 4 thumbs up.

3 comments:

  1. I will definitely try this as it is right up my alley as far as cooking goes... one dish, yummy ingredients and quick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy!! xoxo, A. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Post some more 10 min recipes please! I am in a kitchen funk!

    ReplyDelete