Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Unclaimed Property Search


I LOVE searching the unclaimed property databases for everyone I know. Finding unclaimed money for my grandmother, mother, friends, etc. is as satisfying to me as if it was my own. Not only do you have the adrenaline rush of clicking on their names to reveal the money owed to them (this feature not available in all states), but you also have the pleasure of sharing the good news with them!

During a nap time break today, I did a spontaneous search and found a few $13 claims for my uncle and then hit the "jackpot" when I uncovered $300 for my BFF. Makes me feel a little less guilty about our spontaneous, clearance section shopping spree last week! :)

There's now a national list of states who participate. Just click on your state to be taken to the State Controller's website. I start by searching on last name only so as not to rule out initials or misspellings of first names. Also, don't forget to search on maiden names or common misspellings of your last name. Have fun! Let me know if you have any success.

No comments:

Post a Comment