Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Mini "Caramel" Apples

I've been hanging onto this Family Fun Mini Caramel Apples clipping since September 2008. With two apples in the fridge, peanut butter chips in the pantry, some stray lollipop sticks in a cupboard (although I got to thinking that cotton swabs minus the cotton would work for this too), and a play date scheduled, it was the perfect time to try it.

As in other reviews I've read, I found it difficult to get the melted chips to stick to the moist apple center. And because I couldn't coat them fast enough for the kids' liking, I decided to use creamy peanut butter mixed with honey. Worked well, tasted great, and healthier than caramel.

I set out bowls of toppings (chocolate chips, sprinkles, and walnuts--guess which bowl was left untouched?) and the kids rolled their apples themselves and got back in line for 2nds, 3rds, etc. with sticks in hand.

This snack activity was another reminder of how much fun we all have with the simplest of ingredients, some creativity, and good company. Stella's friend John gave his thumbs up rating when he requested that I please send the instructions to his mom--which I'll do now...

No comments:

Post a Comment